I made these cookies a few months ago with my mom, who got this recipe from her friend 🙂
8 ounces almond paste
1 ½ cups softened butter
1 cup of sugar
4 eggs – separate the yolk and white from each egg
1 tsp almond extract
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp of salt
Red,yellow and green food coloring
Apricot and strawberry preserves ( I used Raspberry)
3 13x9x2 pans
1. Line pans with wax paper and spray with cooking spray.
2. Break up almond paste in large bowl.
3. In a mixer – beat butter, sugar, egg yolks and almond extract for 5 minutes until smooth.
4. Beat in flour and salt.
5. In a separate bowl beat egg whites until stiff.
6. Using a wooden spoon, fold egg whites into almond mix.
7. Separate the mixture into 3 different bowls evenly. In one of the bowls add the red food coloring until you get desired color. Repeat in the other two bowls, one with the yellow and the other with the green food colorings.
8. Place dough (it will be sticky) in pans.
9. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
10. Remove immediately and cool.
11. Heat and strain preserves – spread between layers with pink (red food coloring loaf) in the middle
12. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight. Place weight (from a heavy plate/ book) on top of the cake.
13. The next day, melt the chocolate chips in a saucepan on the stove. Ice the cake using the melted chocolate. Allow chocolate to harden, and then slice the cake into small squares.