If you like cinnamon raisin bread you will LOVE this recipe. I don’t think I can ever buy a store bought loaf again after eating this.
FOR THE BREAD:
1/2 cup warm milk (I used 2%)
1/2 cup warm water
1 (1/4th oz.) package yeast
2 teaspoons + 1/3 cup granulated sugar, divided
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg plus 2 tablespoons warm water
FOR THE CINNAMON SWIRL:
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 cup raisins
1. Combine warm milk, water, yeast, and 2 teaspoons sugar in a measuring cup. Let sit for 10 minutes until foamy. (the temperature of the milk/ water should be warm but NOT scorching hot.)
2. While the yeast is resting, combine the flour, 1/3 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons softened butter, salt, and 1 tablespoon cinnamon in the bowl of a stand mixer.
3. Using the paddle attachment, start to mix on slow. then, drizzle in the water/milk mixture while the machine is running, until the mixture just starts to come together.
4. Switch to the dough hook, and increase speed. mix for about 6-8 minutes, until the dough is smooth + elastic.
*** if you want to work the dough by hand instead of using a stand mixer,
just add the water mixture to the dry ingredients + knead on a floured surface
for 10 minutes until smooth.
5. Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and place the dough ball in it. Cover with a cloth and let rise for 1.5 hours in the warmest spot of the house.
6. While the dough is rising, mix together the remaining 3 tablespoons butter with the extra 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon and 1 tablespoon sugar in a small bowl until smooth. After the dough has risen to double its size (about 1.5 hours), add the raisins and hand knead it into the dough.
7. Roll out dough onto a floured surface to about an 1/8th inch thickness into a long rectangle. Smear the butter mixture over the top of the rectangle + roll up tightly.
8. Place the rolled dough in a greased loaf pan, cover with a cloth and let rise an additional hour in a warm spot.
9. Preheat oven to 350F. Whisk together the egg and 2 tablespoons warm water and brush all over loaf. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden-brown on top. Let cool before slicing.
found on: pinterest