The directions are a bit wordy, but it’s not as complicated as it looks to make! To make this pie, I made my own pie shell, but you can use a store bought one instead. Also, I made a lattice top. I will link a recipe I used for that, and to make a plain shell top as well.
FOR THE CRUST/TOPPING (if using a store bought pie crust, cut this recipe in half which will be enough dough for the top crust)
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup (2 sticks) frozen unsalted butter cut into small slices **I let the sticks
sit out of the freezer for 10 minutes then used a sharp knife to cut it
into little slices**
1 tsp salt
1 tsp granulated sugar
6 to 8 tablespoons cold water
FOR THE FILLING
2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and chopped
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons lemon juice
TOP CRUST COATING
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
make the crust first
1. Combine flour, salt, and sugar in a stand mixer using a paddle attachment.Add butter and continue to mix. Add 6-8 tablespoons of water. (If you pinch some of the crumbly dough and it holds together, it’s ready. If the dough doesn’t hold together, add a little more water. Note that too much water will make the crust tough.)
2. Switch attachment to knead hook and knead dough for 5 minutes. If not using a stand mixer, place dough on floured surface and knead by hand for 10 minutes.
3. Wrap dough in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
4. Combine all filling ingredients in a large bowl and mix together.
5. (If using pre-made pie shell, skip down to step 6) Grease a pie baking pan.
Divide dough in half. Set one half aside (which will be used for the crust topping). Roll out the half using for the pie shell using a rolling pin on a floured surface. Roll out dough into a circle with about 10 inch diameter, 1/2 inch thick. Place dough into baking dish. Press dough into the dish. Dough should be up against the edges and hang off a bit. (the dough will shrink when in the oven)
6. Once pie shell is assembled, pour combined pie filling into the dish.
7. create lattice or pie shell. (see links – they include pictures)
8. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
9. Once shell is finished. Mix together egg yolk and sugar in a small bowl and brush onto shell.
10. Place pie shell onto a baking sheet (incase fruit drips when baking you don’t want it to drip onto the bottom of the oven)
11. Bake in preheated oven for 45-55 minutes until fruit is bubbly, and crust is golden brown.