Similar to my zucchini boats recipe, here are zucchini cups! These could be great to serve as dinner or an appetizer!
2 large zucchini or yellow squash, about 12 inches long
2 tsp + 2 tsp olive oil (may need more, depending on your pan)
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
2 tbsp fresh garlic, minced
1 lb. ground beef **I used ground turkey meat
2 cups tomato sauce
2 cups mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. On the stove, heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a large pan. Sauté onion and pepper for 3-4 minutes, until just starting to soften. Add minced garlic and sauté about 1 minute more. Remove the onion, pepper, and garlic mixture to a bowl.
3. In the same pan, add 2 tsp of olive oil and add meat. Cook on medium heat until browned.
4. Add cooked vegetables and garlic back into the meat. Add tomato sauce and simmer on low for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. While meat cools, cut zucchini into 2 inch thick slices, discarding ends. Use a sharp spoon or melon baller to hollow out a cup in each zucchini slice, leaving just over 1/4 inch of zucchini flesh. * Instead of discarding the scooped out zucchini, I added it to the meat mixture.
6. Spray baking sheet with nonstick spray and stand up zucchini cups, open end up.
7. Stir 1 1/2 cups cheese into the meat mixture, then spoon the meat-cheese mixture into zucchini cups, pressing down with the spoon and mounding it up a little over the top of the zucchini.
7. Bake zucchini cups for 20 minutes, then remove from oven and use remaining cheese to top each cup. Put back in oven and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, until zucchini is slightly soft when pierced with a fork and cheese is melted and lightly browned. Serve hot.
adapted from: kalynskitchen.com