1/4 c. butter
1 c. milk
2 T. instant yeast
1 T. honey
1/2 tsp. salt
1 large egg
3 – 3 ½ c. all-purpose flour
2 T. butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
3-4 T. grated Parmesan or Romano cheese (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a 9×13-inch rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper.Set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, melt butter. When butter is mostly melted, stir in milk,heat mixture to 100-110 F.
3. Meanwhile, add yeast and honey to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
4. When milk mixture is at temperature, add to yeast and honey; stir to combine.
5. Add salt and egg, and stir until combined.
6. Stir in 2 ½ cups of flour.
7. Add remaining flour until dough clings to paddle and cleans the sides of the bowl.
8. Switch to the dough hook, and knead for 2 minutes (or by hand for about 5 minutes).
9. With lightly floured hands, shape dough into 12 knots, and place dough on prepared baking sheet.
10. Cover, and let dough rest for 10 minutes.
11. Bake for about 9-12 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. (I baked mine for longer because I made the knots too thick)
12. While the knots are baking, prepare the garlic butter. In a small bowl, stir together ingredients for garlic butter.
13. After removing the rolls from the oven, brush with garlic butter, and enjoy!
** If using active dry yeast, substitute an equal amount for the instant yeast. Let the mixture sit for 5-10 minutes, or until foamy. Before proceeding to step 4.