makes 4 large bowls
2 cups lukewarm water
1/8 cup active dry yeast (2 packages)
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer, add warm water, yeast, honey and olive oil, quickly mixing with a spoon. Let sit for 5-10 minutes until yeast gets foamy.
2. In a separate bowl, combine flours and salt.
3. Begin with the paddle attachment, and gradually add flour mixture to yeast. Once paddle attachment is hard to move, switch to dough hook. **If you don’t have a stand mixer, you can knead the dough by hand on a floured table surface.
4. Knead the dough for 10-12 minutes.
5. Remove dough from bowl (it will be sticky) and place it on a floured workspace. Knead it a few times by hand, adding a few sprinkles of flour until it’s elastic and no longer super sticky.
6. Oil a large bowl with olive oil and place the bread in the bowl, flipping it to coat. Cover and set in a warm place to rise for 1.5 hours.
7. Preheat oven to 425F.
8. After 1.5 hours, punch down dough and form into a large round, using more flour if needed to decrease the stickiness again.
9. Cut the round into 4 equal pieces and roll them into balls. Place on a baking sheet, cover and let rise for 20-30 more minutes.
10. Take the dough balls and roll them into tighter balls again, then brush each with beaten egg. Gently score the top of each loaf, then bake for 40-45 minutes, or until golden.
11. Let cool completely, then using a serrated knife, cut a round out of the middle and fill with soup!
found on: howsweeteats.com