3 small potatoes, sliced paper thin
1/2 cup shredded monterey-jack cheese
1 bunch kale, stemmed and chopped
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
handful of florets of broccoli
1/2 pie dough recipe
PIE DOUGH INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 stick unsalted butter, softened in small chunks
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4-1/2 cup ice water
Make crust first ..
1. In an electric mixer, combine flour, sugar, salt, and butter until flour feels like grainy sand.
2. Add the first 1/4 cup of water and mix until the dough comes together easily.
3. Gradually add more water, until the dough is a soft consistency.
4. Roll the dough into a ball, and loosely press down into the shape of a flat disk. Cover with wax paper and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
1. Preheat oven to 425F. Unwrap dough from fridge. Sprinkle with flour, and roll out with a rolling pin to flatten out. Place the dough into a tart/pie pan and press up against sides. Place a small sheet of parchment paper on top of the bottom of the tart, and fill with pie weights or beans (this will prevent the dough from rising and will keep the sides from shrinking down.)
2. Bake on the center rack for 10 minutes, then turn down the heat to 375 F, remove the parchment and weights/beans and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
3. Remove the tart from the oven.
4. Set oven back to 425 F.
5. In a large sauce pan on stove, melt butter and add onions. Sauté for 10-15 minutes. Add garlic, cooking for 1 minute, then add kale. Cook for 5-10 minutes, until kale is wilted.
6. Line the pie pan with a thin layer of potato slices, then add ontop the broccoli and kale. Top with additional potato slices. Sprinkle with cheese and a little olive oil.
7. Bake at 425F for 20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy on top.
recipe adapted from thekitchykitchen.com