2 large eggplants
1medium onions, chopped
3/4 cup tomato paste (or sauce)
ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Prick the eggplants all over with a fork and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Roast in the center of the oven, until soft, about 1 hour.
3. Let the eggplants cool in a colander in the sink, allowing the juices to drain. When cool enough to handle, press any excess liquid out.
4. Meanwhile, heat a few teaspoons of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onions, until soft and translucent, about 20 minutes.
5. Cut the eggplants in half and scoop out the flesh. Discard the peel. Using a large knife, chop the flesh very finely.
6. Add the eggplant to the onions along with the tomato paste, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and a couple good cracks of black pepper. Turn the heat to low-medium and cook, stirring frequently, for 10-15 minutes.
7. Transfer the mixture to a bowl, or serving dish. Allow to completely cool before storing in refrigerator.
found on: thekitchn.com