My mom’s friend had made this recently, and she said it came out great. It includes two of my favorite foods: eggplant and spinach, so I just had to make it and taste it for myself! It’s fabulous.
1 large eggplant, peeled
2-3 cups breadcrumbs
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
about 2 cups tomato sauce
1 1/2 cup spinach leaves (I used fresh baby spinach but if using frozen, thaw out and drain)
** Sorry, but I don’t normally measure when I cook so this is an approximate amount, you may need a bit more or less cheese, breadcrumbs etc, depending on your own preference
1. Slice peeled eggplant into circular or rectangular pieces (I personally cut the eggplant in half, and continue doing so getting small rectangular slices)
2. Set aside medium-sized small bowls. In one bowl whisk tougher eggs. In the other bowl, pour in breadcrumbs.
3. To cook the eggplant you can either fry them on the stove, or bake them in the oven; I prefer to bake them. If cooking on the stove, heat up a large frying pan with oil. If baking in the oven, preheat oven to 400F, and coat baking pan with olive oil.
4. To prepare eggplant for cooking, dip a single slice in the egg, and then coat with breadcrumbs. Place on baking pan or frying pan. Repeat with all slices of eggplant. And fry or bake the slices, on both sides, until golden brown.
5. While eggplant is browning, mix together in a large bowl cheese (leave some mozzarella aside to sprinkle on top later on) and a cup of sauce.
6. Now you can prepare the “lasagna.” Coat the bottom of a medium sized baking dish with tomato sauce. Next, layer on eggplant slices, followed by the cheese mixture. Top the cheese mixture with spinach, followed by an additional layer of eggplant slices. Sprinkle on mozzarella cheese.
7. Bake in oven at 350F for an additional 20-25 minutes or until cheese on top is melted.