I’ve tried several Challah recipes and this one, given to me by my Aunt, has been the best yet.
1 1/2 cups warm water
1/2 cup honey
2 pkgs rapid rise yeast
1 tbsp salt
1/3 cup of oil
3 large eggs
2 egg yolks (save the whites for an egg wash to finish)
6 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp sugar (for egg wash)
1. In a large bowl combine water, honey, salt and yeast. Stir until yeast dissolves.
2. Add and stir in the oil, 3 large eggs and 2 egg yolks.
3. Mix in flour.
4. On a floured surface, knead bread with floured hands for 8-10 minutes until dough is no longer sticky.
5. Put dough in a bowl, cover and let rise 25 minutes.
6. Separate dough into two halves and form each into desired shape challah. I followed this youtube video to braid and shape my round braided challah http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr1R9uQJ0Ws
7. Once braided and shaped, brush with egg whites whisked with one tsp of sugar. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
8. Let sit for 20 more minutes on cookie sheet. Preheat oven to 375 F.
9. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes.