- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder (optional but delicious)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- In a blender or food processor, grind oats until fine. Transfer to a small bowl, then stir together with the whole wheat flour. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla, espresso powder, cinnamon, and salt until smooth. Beat in the baking soda, vinegar, and egg.
- By hand, stir in the flour mixture, then the chocolate chips and walnuts, just until combined. For the best results, cover and chill in the refrigerator overnight.
- Place rack in the center of oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line to baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat mat. Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto the cookie sheets, then bake for 9 minutes, until the bottoms of the cookies are barely beginning to brown. The cookies may appear underdone. Remove cookies from oven, let cool on the baking sheet for 3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
found on: wellplated.com