- 1 pound penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and drained ((I used fresh))
- 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, chopped
- Few grates of fresh nutmeg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups shredded pepper jack, divided
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan, divided
- Preheat oven. Lightly oil a 9×13 baking dish or coat with nonstick spray.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain well.
- Heat olive oil in a medium pot over medium low heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to soften, about 3-4 minutes. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1-2 minutes. Gradually whisk in chicken broth and cook, whisking constantly, until incorporated, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in milk and bring to a simmer.
- Add spinach, artichoke and nutmeg and stir until the sauce has thickened and the vegetables are heated through, about 2-3 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in 1 cup pepper jack and 1 cup Parmesan until smooth, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in penne.
- Spread the penne mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining pepper jack and Parmesan. Place into oven and bake for 20-25 minutes,until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.
adapted from: damndelicious.net