A delicious buttery, flakey crust filled with crisp apples and spices.
store bought pie crust or one home-made crust: pie crust
4-5 medium apples, peeled and cut into thin slices
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour + additonal 1 teaspoon
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 egg, beaten, (for egg wash)
- Make pie crust; after removing from refrigerator, or using store bought, roll out into a large circle (the size of the pan) using floured rolling pan.
- To easily move pie crust into pan, fold circled dough in half, and then again into quarters. Put tip of dough in center and gently unfold crust into the pan. Press dough into edges of pan. Set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- With a wooden mixing spoon, combine all filling ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Spread out pie filling mixture onto the pie crust in pan.
- Take second disc and roll out onto floured surface into a large square. Make lattice by cutting dough into strips and then layer them onto the pie in a checkerboard pattern.
- After assembled, brush beaten egg onto the crust.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 10 minutes. then lower temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow pie to cool in pan for 2-3 hours before serving. Allowing the pie to sit lets all the juice and flavors of the filling to rest.